Hamilton: Hamilton West Parish Church
Hill & Son, 1902 — organ surveyed August 2025
Historical overview
This organ was constructed in 1902 as Opus 2283, and built alongside another fine example of the firm’s work which survives, unaltered and Grade I listed (although no longer in use) as Opus 2282 at Helensburgh United Reformed Church. The Helensburgh instrument is entirely pneumatic, although both sibling instruments comprise seventeen ranks of pipes across two manuals and pedals.
Significant contracts undertaken by the Hill firm at around this time include Middlesbrough Town Hall, Eton College Chapel, Halifax Victoria Hall, Lichfield Cathedral, Selby Abbey and Westminster Abbey. The firm was similarly active in Glasgow and Renfrewshire at the turn of the twentieth century, culminating in a valedictory Scottish installation at St. Margaret’s Church of Scotland, Polmadie (Glasgow) in 1908 (this instrument clothed within casework designed by Dr. Arthur Hill).
With numerous active and flourishing organ building companies operating and available within the central belt of Scotland, the choice of a prestigious London firm for the provision of a new instrument is likely to have been at the discretion of the two sisters from within the congregation who commissioned and presented it. Ellen Bryce Loudon and Henrietta Alexander Paterson were daughters of the wealthy Hamilton businessman Alexander Kirkpatrick of Allanshaw, Landowner and Justice of the Peace. Henrietta was married to Rev Thomas M B Paterson, the first Minister of Hamilton West congregation who remained in post for 46 years.
The cost of this instrument was five hundred pounds, a figure which did not include the self-assured oak casework (designed and crafted locally) and those structural alterations necessary to accommodate the new organ. It is believed that these additional expenditures were also borne by the sisters. Wind for the instrument was raised by hydraulically driven feeders, with hand blowing also available as a backup.
For the inauguration ceremony which took place on Friday 19th September 1902, the eminent Glasgow Organist Thomas Berry was engaged to perform a programme including works by Bach, Mozart, Morandi, Smart, and Guilmant. The church choir included choruses by Handel as part of their own contribution to this auspicious occasion. The Hamilton Advertiser of Saturday 20th September reported that “the church was filled in every part” and that “at the close Mr Berry was again and again applauded”. Berry was Organist of Belhaven U. P. Church in Glasgow, where Hill had rebuilt and enlarged the organ in 1898.
The organ has been augmented by the provision of an Oboe stop to the Swell division, most likely at some stage during the inter-war years. A Tremulant was also provided at the same time, and the original lever swell pedal mechanism converted to balanced operation. The execution and materials used in the course of these amendments are reminiscent of the work of Ingram & Company of Edinburgh. Beyond this sole technical intervention, and the introduction of an electrically driven blower, the organ has provided almost 125 years of reliable service with no more than routine maintenance and an occasional cleaning, serving as a robust and musically rewarding instrument for both player and listener.
M. H.
With grateful thanks to Marie Pollock (Hamilton West) for information relating to the benefactors.